Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:47:12 +0100

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Benoit T <benoit.triquet_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:29:01AM +0100, Uriel wrote:
>> Go is the only hope for the future of the software industry, the only
>> weapon with a chance of killing the abominable mutant monster of C++
>> and the double-headed zombie of Java/C#.
>
> hear hear! there has to be a better way :)
>
>> Having Go, there is no excuse to write user space code in C ever
>> again; as for kernel space, we will see (specially once they deploy
>> the new concurrent garbage collector), rob said he would like somebody
>> to try building a kernel in Go, this would be fun, and might even
>> produce something quite useful.
>
> This is happening already (although "happening" might depend on how you
> judge the progress of a project) : http://www.bitc-lang.org and
> http://www.coyotos.org

I have meet the main coyotos dev, and he is a very nice and smart
person, but coyotos is 100% academic ivory tower work, Go is 100%
practical stuff to get real work done.

In all the years coyotos has been out, I don't think anyone has really
used it for anything, Go already runs http://golang.org and has quite
a bit of useful software (and more is being written every day).

uriel