Re: [dev] Alex Payne @ Strange Loop

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:56:16 +0100

I have no clue who this guy is, and the slides are very nice and all,
but after a very quick look found some big mistakes:

- The same pointless and stupid fetish about lines of code, this is
just as dumb as those that calculate the $$ value of a project by
counting lines of code, what matters is not the number of lines, but
the complexity of those lines and of the whole system. Yes, all other
things being equal less lines of code is always better, but that is
obvious enough. I have seen too many times people making code more
convoluted in the name of getting rid of one line of code.

- In slide 36 he advocates unification of code and data, this is a
very bad idea, data should come first and be modeled, and code should
follow from there.

That said, it would be nice to have a whole recording of the talk and
not just the slides, maybe some things were qualified more carefully
during the talk.

That said, I didn't see any explicit reference to suckless.

Peace

uriel