Re: [dev] sup - the minimalistic sudo

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:39:01 +0100

On 12/14/2009 07:25 PM, Uriel wrote:
> Plan 9 has /dev/cap* which provides a simple, elegant and effective
> capability system where it is really useful, without changing any of
> the unix permissions model (other than being saner and simplified).
>
> http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/3/cap
> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/auth

can you argument in few lines about this security model and why is
better than my proposal? and ofcourse..why its elegant, simpler and
effective, those are easy to say words but certainly i dont know plan9
that much to discuss that.

A more than 2urls reply would be more constructive for the thread.
> Sudo? who the hell needs that, just get rid of root already.

for me the 'root' user is a simplification for a user with all priviledges
(which is not true at all, because kernel have more priviledges than root)

In hurd you have a guest user with really low priviledges which requires
no login. it is fun... but i have never find a real use case a part from
finding a file on the filesystem before login to change the bootloader
configuration.

Thanks for the plan9 caps info, didnt knew that.

--pancake