Re: [dev] [OFFTOPIC] Recommended meta-build system

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:36:46 +0100

On Jan 26, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Daniel Bainton <dpb_AT_driftaway.org> wrote:

> 2010/1/25 pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>:
>> I have been using make(1) and acr(1) for most of my projects for a
>> long while
>
> acr seems to have the OS guessing quite bad. It checks if uname is the
> GNU version and then adds -gnu to the system type if it is? What if
> the system is a uClibc based one that uses the GNU version of uname?
>
> gcc -dumpmachine would be a better way IMO (though probably not the
> best anyway, atleast if the system has some other compiler than gcc..)

It cannot depend on gcc. What about crosscompiling? What about non-C
projects?

That string is just orientative imho. So i simplified the algorithm to
handle most common situations.

The code in autoconf that do this is really painful. And i dont really
get the point of having a moré accurate and complex host string
resolution.

Do you have any other proposal to enhace it? With --target, --host and
--build you can change the default string.