Re: [dev] [surf] projects with the same name

From: Daniel Baumann <daniel_AT_debian.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:04:06 +0100

Pierre Chapuis wrote:
> There is almost no way to avoid name conflicts in OSS projects, I think
> it's the job of the packagers to take care of that in each
> distribution.

totally, yes.

in debian (surf is waiting in the new queue), there's no other package
called surf. so that other surf must be really, really awfully
old/unmaintained/uninteresting that this wasn't even included in debian
 earlier.

oiow: if it would my decision, i would stick with it.

> The other project is packaged under the
> name surf-ag. The two packages should conflict because they both
> provide /usr/bin/surf but nobody ever complained about that

rather, surf-ags /usr/bin/surf should be renamed to /usr/bin/surf-ag.

Email:          daniel.baumann_AT_panthera-systems.net