Re: [dev] [OFFTOPIC] Recommended meta-build system

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:06:09 +0000

On 1 February 2010 12:52, <jonathan.slark_AT_talktalk.net> wrote:
>> People are retards that should get a life, and developers that can't
>> pick bearable colors should not pick colors (just ask for advice from
>> an artists as Rob did for acme and rio). Layout algorithms are more an
>> intrinsic part of the application and should not be considered 'an
>> option' (and configuring them via a .h file is plain idiotic),
>> shortcuts are part of the UI which should be sane and consistent.
>
> This is my PC and I decide what colours are used.

To be fair Uriel isn't completely wrong. In an ideal world everyone
would just use the software as is and not waste time on fiddling
around with colors and such. But obviously a lot of people like
customizing things/making them different to the default. I'm not sure
what the reason is, but people fiddle around their cars, by bigger
wheels, bigger exhausts, make the windows black etc. Same with
software and desktop setups.

So the ideal world doesn't exist, however we think the lesser options
there are, the better. The best tools are those that have no options,
like nearly no one changes the look of the vacuum cleaner once bought,
or of your micro wave, or of your iron board, or nearly no one
repaints the case of a TV.

The point is people would be able doing much more useful stuff when
they won't spend their time with fiddling around with things that are
not mandatory == eg not customising cars but coming up with some great
philosophy instead ;)

Cheers,
Anselm