Re: [dev] Why use Mercurial?

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:05:52 +0000

On 14 February 2010 03:14, Matthew Bauer <mjbauer95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do Wmii and DWM use Mercurial?
> Aren't they targeted at Linux systems and isn't Git a lot faster on Linux?
> I just wanted to know, because Wmii in my opinion is one of the most Unix
> like projects out there, and I wanted to know why you'd use  Mercurial
> instead of Git.

Both, git and mercurial, have their pros and cons. Imho git is more
suitable for large projects with huge code base (eg linux). mercurial
seems to be more appropriate for small and medium sized projects
(ours). Also mercurial has a far more consistent and usable command
line interface than git -- there are so many oddities in git, like
removing a file from filesystem removes it from git on commit etc.

For most suckless.org projects we use mercurial, for stali I decided
to go with git, because it has some edge when the code base is very
large.

Kind regards,
Anselm