Re: [dev] Why use Mercurial?

From: Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:22:25 +0100

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:14:55 -0600
Matthew Bauer <mjbauer95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do Wmii and DWM use Mercurial?
> Aren't they targeted at Linux systems and isn't Git a lot faster on
> Linux?
>
> I just wanted to know, because Wmii in my opinion is one of the most
> Unix like projects out there, and I wanted to know why you'd use
> Mercurial instead of Git.

Why shouldn't they use Mercurial? There is no speed issues. Perhaps
there is with *large* projects like the kernel, I don't know if that
applies still. Suckless software are small/normal sized by design.

Git was customised towards kernel development and has features that may
be needed for this. But most of it is something normal projects never
uses. Myself I also use mercurial and I like it a lot. It is clean and
nice, something git at least wasn't. I don't know how it is now,
probably it has been cleaned up, but it used to be a bunch of
scripts/commands aimed towards kernel development.

More info see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29

Preben