Re: [dev] [sw] Suckless web-framework

From: Claudio M. Alessi <smoppy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:26:14 +0200

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:50:07PM +0400, anonymous wrote:
> You don't put same symlinks (to ~/doc, ~/src etc.) in every directory of
> your filesystem. Most directories have only one link to them. Then why
> should you put links to upper levels in every directory (and even file)
> of your website?
It makes sense. The '..' link allow you to directly go back to the upper level
which, in the case of N sub-levels (e.g., docs/unix/foo/bar/mydoc) you have to
use the browesr back feature N times (where N is the amount of sub-levels)
while a '..' link allow you to switch to the upper level with only one click.

E.g. on http://werc.cat-v.org/docs/web_server_setup/apache2 you have to use the
back feature 2 times to back to docs/ (and 3 for the home page) while with a
'..' link you only have to click it once.

> For example look at http://www.fidonet.org/ When you go to "What is
> FidoNet?" or "How to Join FidoNet", there is no link back. You can press
> "back" in your browser, edit URL or something like this.
Well, same problem here: http://www.fidonet.org/old/genlinfo.html You need two
clicks to back to the home page (unless you use gU with Vimperator or other
evil stuff -- which I use :P); with the dot-dot link you only need one click.

> Another example is http://www.mutt.org/ There is link "more news",
> but no link to main page in http://www.mutt.org/news.html.
Same as above.

Regards,