Re: [dev][dmenu] filter files with grep but print corresponding urls?

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:06:09 +0200

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Andreas Wagner <andreasbwagner_AT_gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing some shell scripts for an uzbl bookmarker with full text
> search of webpages bookmarked. It wgets the html and takes the md5sum
> (of the page), the url and the title and puts them, space separated in
> a file. The downloaded page's filename is changed to the md5sum.
>
> I was trying a way to do the full text search of the pages with an
> arbitrary tool such as grep but display the corresponding titles+urls
> of the pages in the dmenu.
>
> Is this currently possible with dmenu?
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

I was trying to do something similar and I wrote a patch to make dmenu
output the index of the item instead of the text. The patch adds a "-n"
option to toggle making it output an index instead of the text, also you
must select the exact item (it doesnt output the input text). Patch added as
attachment. I hope you find it useful.