Re: [dev] dmenu_path rewrite in C

From: v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 15:05:17 +0200

Thank you Elmo!

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:09:33PM +0200, Premysl Hruby wrote:
> Well, I (and others possibly) have no concern about cache miss, my files
> in $PATH doesn't changes every five minutes :-)

mine do about three times a week.

I use a source based distro over here on my netbook(Samsung NC10),
so I'm often working while updating and nearly every compiled packet
changes some binary in PATH so it's /quite/ annoying over here
to wait about 1.5 seconds for dmenu during that time...
Now it's just 0.05 seconds!

> So, I see no reason to have it "mainline".

Well, since the shellscript got a noticeable lag that shouldn't exist
in any graphical software after all, I suppose speed is a criterion
for being suckless in this case.

So imho the c-version should be mainline, even if the source should be
cleaned before(\t -> ' ', source style?, ...)