Re: [dev] Is there a reason to use install(1)?

From: Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 00:29:43 +0200

> You mean, install is just meant as a wrapper around the standard
> tools
> to express the actions in a more compact way. (btw: It's a shame that
> install isn't a shell script then.)

Well. why isn't man(1) a shell-script? And what about the dozens of other
tools which could be trivially implemented in sh?

some loop over the directories in $MANPATH to look for the manpage,
nroff -man $f | $PAGER

Even the BSDs have man as a binary program. I can't speak for solaris or
anything else, but I guess they don't differ in that point either