Re: Re: [dev] Fwd: OT:GUI wireless connections management?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 21:49:52 +0200

Kurt H Maier dixit (2010-05-30, 15:27):

> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> > And, скажы меня, what if I need to mix cyryllic, some unusual character
> > or two like »λ«,
>
> you never "need" to do this
>
> > call upon Janáček's surname, mention a band called
> > Sigur Rós, their track „Suð Í Eyrum” and such?
>
> Everyone will know what you mean when you type "Janacek", "Sigur Ros",
> and "Suo I Eyrum".
>
> I can *almost* understand wanting to switch between cyrillic and
> ascii, but bringing sigur ros into it is just stupid. They invented a
> language. If they want my computer to support the idiocy they pass
> off as 'art,' they can damn well update my console drivers.
>
> > Not seeing further than the tip of one's nose and *bending reality* to
> > the limitations of some dinosaur era string processing crap library is
> > so pathetic...
>
> Not using ASCII places you firmly in the 'dinosaur era.' You can
> advocate interoperability with your niche shit all you want, but don't
> start assaulting other people for not wanting to waste time decoding
> it. My system supports UTF-8, but honestly it gains me nothing.

If it does, then what's the noise about?

OK, forget the accents for a moment, and enjoy the *primitive*
misspellings of various non-pure-ascii (ie. most European) languages and
by the shape of this conversation I'm pretty sure you'll be immune to
the notion that some words change or lose (yes, up to practical
undecipherability) their meaning having been dumbed down to ASCII.

I'm quite curious too what's *almost* in understanding the switching
between latin cyryllic (or other scripts for that matter)?

I don't advocate interoperability (on the contrary, I feel the 7-bitters
do), I advocate proper ortographic use of human languages for precise
communicating between people, especially that there are technical means
available.

Guess why was the UTF-8 patch to line editing in dmenu so welcome
yesterday?

Best,

--
[a]