[dev] Re: XDG directories

From: David Engster <deng_AT_randomsample.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:58:57 +0200

Kris Maglione writes:
> While on the one hand, I think that the people who wrote the XDG spec
> are raving mad[1], on the other, I hate applications clogging up my
> home directory with dot-files. I'm considering moving ~/.wmii to
> ~/.config/wmii.

I'm trying to understand which problem exactly is solved by this. I
tried to read the "XDG Base Directory Specification" [1] but I admit I
didn't get past "Basics". How is fiddling with XDG_DATA_HOME,
XDG_CONFIG_HOME, XDG_DATA_DIRS, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_CACHE_HOME
better than a dotfile or dot-directory in your $HOME?

-David

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html