Re: [dev] stderr: unnecessary?

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:42:38 -0400

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 02:15:07AM +0100, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
>On 11 June 2010 21:15, Anders Andersson <pipatron_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Think before posting or blaming. 2GB might be silly now, much as 2MB
>> was silly 20 years ago. I can't see why it would be extraordinarily
>> silly to read in/map 2GB from a file 10 years from now. It takes 10
>> seconds at most *today*. And to limit your application because people
>> still use a broken processor architecture sounds a bit windows-y I
>> think..
>
>The posix spec states that the nbyte argument is of type size_t, which
>could be extended to 64 bit, making 2GB well within reach.

Which is, of course, entirely relevant. This is a non-issue.
It's not a practical limitation. It's already possible to read
as much of a file into memory as your memory will hold. The only
limitation is that if you want more than 2GB, you need to make
multiple calls. Which is made even more irrelevant by the fact
that reads generally need to occur in a loop anyway to deal with
incomplete and interrupted reads, hence utility functions like
readn.

--
Kris Maglione
Complexity kills.  It sucks the life out of developers, it makes