Re: [dev] stderr: unnecessary?

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:27:05 +0100

On 12 June 2010 08:00, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> The read operation can only fetch data the size of
> half of the entire addressable memory space of a given machine in one call

Except it can actually fetch as much data as is addressable in memory
in a single call, if the kernel and library are tailored to.

> which has no practical implications whatsoever.

Except efficiency: the fewer system calls required to read the data
the fewer mode switches required, and mode switches are very
expensive.

> But I'm frankly not interested in fluffy notions about the future, because
> they're irrelevant.

I am interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going
to spend the rest of our lives [1].

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xes0F36eTJA

cls