Re: [dev] Suckless operating system

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:37:58 +0100

On 14 Jun 2010, at 13:22, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:

>> * udev (+/- 5sec) was replaced by our (small) fdev (now takes some
>> 0.1 sec).
>
> there is also mdev in busybox, in case you are interested. I like
> busybox very
> much, but I think it lacks documentation.

busybox is a bit incomplete in places too. ed is missing E and Q,
which are the sort of do-without-confirmation commands useful in
scripts. ed also lacks n, leaving (I think) no way to get line numbers
from a busybox utility. I don't know how vi is coming along but don't
have good memories of it from 2 or 3 years ago, it was really rotten.
dc has badly broken parsing and appears to be missing _most_ commands.
I'm not impressed yet. :)

--
Complexity is not a function of the number of features. Some features
exist only because complexity was _removed_ from the underlying system.