Re: [dev] Suckless operating system

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:24:37 +0100

Quoth Ethan Grammatikidis:
> I think it's pointless because most file types can be identified
> from their first few bytes. This loops back around to my
> content-type argument, why should the server go looking for file
> type when the client gets it handed to it anyway?

Because that way you can do content negotiation. Granted, that isn't
much used today, and it would make sense to make content-type
optional, but I like the idea of content negotiation. Being able to
e.g. get the original markdown for the content of a page, without
the HTML crap, navigation etc, would be really nice in a lot of
cases. I get the impression the W3C expected content negotiation to
be used a lot more when they wrote the HTTP 1.1 spec.