Re: [dev] picture

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:54:21 -0400

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:16:11PM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2010, at 22:08, ⚖ Alexander Surma Surma wrote:
>
>> The problem with public domain is, that it's not really global (some
>> country behave differently).
>
> I used this in rc-httpd:
>
> LICENSE
>
> None. rc-httpd is in the public domain, I give up all rights to it.
> For countries without a concept of public domain, consider it entirely
> without owner.
>
> If anyone sees any problems with it, I'd like to know.

"entirely without owner" is the same thing as public domain.
Some (many) countries don't recognize it. Which is to say, when
you write something, you own it, and you don't have the legal
right to disclaim ownership. Saying you've disclaimed ownership
of something may well imply that you've anyone permission to do
anything they like with it, but there's no legal standing in
that. CC0 disclaims ownership in countries where it's possible
and issues explicit permissions everywhere else.

Not that there's anything wrong with BY-SA or any other CC
licenses. It's a matter of personal preference (though I'm
personally never fond of SA-type clauses, especially when they
take on a viral bent).

--
Kris Maglione
If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, C++ gives you enough rope