Re: [dev] [dwm] adding WM_WINDOW_ROLE rule

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:24:57 -0400

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:55:14AM +0200, Uriel wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:09:22PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the right thing to do would be to extend Rule and applyrules()
>>> with support for WM_WINDOW_ROLE. However I doubt that many client make
>>> actually use of WM_WINDOW_ROLE in a consistent way, which is why I
>>> believe there is no great benefit in doing so -- or in other words,
>>> yet another proof how hideous X has become ;)
>>
>> Has become? It was so from the start, and I'm really not certain it's
>> possible for it to have become worse. There are certain depts of depravity
>> in software that are impossible to surpass without resorting to Java.
>
>I think somehow X managed to surpass its own hideousness without
>resorting to Java thanks to things like the use of XML by fontconfig,
>and the auto*hell-ization of the whole X.org distribution.

I have to admit that I don't make a strong distinction between
XML and Java, but fontconfig really isn't X. It's just an
external library like anything else. And, as for autohell, well,
bad as it is, I'm really not sure that it's worse than imake.

--
Kris Maglione
One does well to put on gloves when reading the New Testament.  The