Re: [dev] [9buntu] first attempt -bashing needed

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:34:28 -0400

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 02:51:53AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2010, at 7:48, Jens Staal wrote:
>>
>> One reason I looked at debian-based systems at first was that they
>> allegedly had gotten rid of Bash-isms in their init scripts (in
>> contrast to Arch), but since the ISO refused to boot after I removed
>> Bash, I am sort of sceptical about that...
>
> If I remember right the announcement that they were removing Bashisms
> was not made very long ago, I'd be surprised if they'd done a complete
> job already even if they say they have.

It was some years ago, I'm fairly certain. /bin/sh has defaulted
to dash for some time now, so any script that doesn't have bash
in the shebang line (which none in the base system do, to my
knowledge), should run fine without it.

--
Kris Maglione
Actually I made up the term "object-oriented", and I can tell you I