Re: [dev] merp is a loneliness mitigation device written in python and Tk

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 04:41:26 +0100

On 30 Jul 2010, at 7:09, hiro wrote:

> I have not been able to get wm/irc to work under acme-sac. Is there
> something I'm missing?
>
> As I see now the snarf issue has been fixed one day after this
> discussion.
> The inferno host-window is not resizable yet as in i.e. 9vx or
> acme-sac, so it's still difficult for me to use it.
> I would also love it if we could let the host manage the windows
> instead of wm/wm, as in plan9port. Although I don't know whether this
> would even be possible with the current code base.
>
> Just dreaming a little.

Being a dreamer myself I had to have a little think about this. :)
Window systems don't generally get on at all, but if you do it right
they don't have to.

For instance X11 on OS X is really not integrated into the host window
system at all. Top level X11 windows use something from the host, but
none of the standard decorations or features. You then have the option
of using an X11 window manager which provides the _look_ of host
system and which hooks into the host just enough so that minimised
windows go to the dock and the window list in the Mac menu bar works.

Apart from clipboard integration (only textual, which Inferno has
anyway) that's about it. I expect much the same could be done with
Inferno on either OS X or X11. I guess you would need a new device and
would almost certainly need to replace wm/toolbar. Under OS X
replacing wm/wm need only be a low priority, but under X11 even
virtual desktops would be an issue for it. Perhaps Acme SAC's resize
code would be of use in modifying or replacing wm/wm.