Re: [dev] curses samterm

From: Joseph Xu <josephzxu_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:31:10 -0400

On 8/2/2010 6:15 PM, Wolf Tivy wrote:
> I noticed there is a project for a samterm on the project ideas page.
> Has anyone started on this? It seems like a really good idea.
>
> I guess ideally it would be usable without X (in text mode) but would
> still keep the nice view and selection interface.
> Luxuries like syntax coloring would be nice but really not critical.
>
> So on that note, it looks like curses is the way to go (as has been
> previously suggested). Then the issue is how closely our curses
> samterm would resemble bitmap samterm. Considering all the clicky
> menus and scrollbars and such, it may be best for the curses interface
> to be a totally different design.
>
> With that in mind, does anyone have good ideas for a curses samterm
> interface?
>
> I am enthusiastic about this project and I'd be willing to help, but I have
> never touched any curses code and my only familiarity with sam is
> the papers and an occasional sam -d.

Under what circumstance would you not be able to run sam's gui and have
to resort to a curses interface? sam already provides a way to connect
the gui to a remote host via ssh to edit files over a slow connection.
I've even done this with an old Windows port of sam running locally and
a remote linux host with p9p sam. So the only reason is if you don't
want to run X on your local computer, which seems ridiculous nowadays.
Rob Pike wrote sam in part because he didn't like having to cursor
around in vi.