Re: [dev] curses samterm

From: Joseph Xu <josephzxu_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 04:50:29 -0400

On 8/3/2010 12:41 AM, Wolf Tivy wrote:
> I find it useful to be able to edit files using my regular editor
> after I break X, or if I don't feel like starting it up.

X doesn't break that often for me.

> I like curses stuff even in X because it is nice to open up an editor
> and have it tempoarily reuse the terminal window without spawning
> another and thrashing my layout. Furthermore, as a bit of an

Usually I'll have acme always running and just plumb stuff to it.
Actually you can almost live inside acme like you can live inside emacs.

> aesthetic concern, curses editors inherit the color configuration of
> the terminal, which is convienient if you are into making things look
> nice.
>
> It was suggested before that a curses interface would be a good
> idea, so I am assuming that I am not the only person who would
> appreciate it.

Very few people use sam to begin with, even fewer would like the curses
interface. I'm guessing no more than 20 people.

> I might be happy with the p9p samterm, but I can't figure out how
> to get it standalone from the rest of p9p, or what kind of

Not sure you can. Why don't you want p9p? It's got a lot of cool stuff
in it.

> aesthetic variations are possible (font?, color?). These issues are

I think you can change the font by setting the font environment
variable, but there's no syntax highlighting because Pike doesn't like
it. I used to think that was an important feature also, but after using
acme for a while I don't miss it at all. I also don't miss wasting a lot
of time obsessively trying to write highlighting scripts for custom
languages in vim.

> not that big on thier own, but combined with the whole X-dependant
> thing, it just doesn't seem worth it.
>
> So that's my view on why a curses samterm is a good idea.
> If noone is interested, I will survive with nano, but if people are

Why don't you just use vim? It meets all your requirements and like sam
has ed-style commands.