Re: [dev][wmii] wimenu custom completion

From: LuX <lux.onthenet_AT_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:10:52 +0200

Hello!

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:39:12 +0100, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> An important thing to remember is that a feature does not need to be
> in mainline for you to patch it in.

I'm not at all a programmer, I have no ability for patching a program
like this, but I accept this point.

I accept all your points, in fact: if you think that such and such
features should or shouldn't be part of 'the mainline', as you say, it
is up to you and I respect it. I was just asking (and teasing a little
bit, I admit, but hey… don't you like teasing gently some times?).

> The '-S' flag seemed like an interesting patch to write, so I hacked
> it together and you'll find it attached (diff against tip).

Thank you. I think that other people may appreciate it too.

> There is already a file completion patch available[1].

Wow, I missed this one! It seems to be great.

> I share Anselm's opinion that [..] Including custom completion etc etc
> is beyond dmenu's role, which is acceptable for a patch, but should
> not be included in mainline.

I agree with you: it's an opinion. Not an eternal rule.
In my opinion YOU are the rule, and I have no problem with this.

> That's a good point. When are you planning to change *your* mind?

Reversibility is one of the numerous charms of this proverb. :-)

Please note that I have no mind on what dmenu should or shouldn't be.
I only have a (changing) idea of the way I want to use my computer. I
was simply excited by this new area of customization opened by wimenu,
which looks like an elegant answer to this strange dilemna on what
wimenu is or is not: wimenu is wimenu, and customization is the joy of
users (like patching programs is the joy of programmers, I suppose).

Maybe after playing a while with wimenu as a launcher with file
completion, I will find the usual command line in a terminal more
convenient. Or maybe not. I simply don't know at the moment.

> Hope this helps.

Surely it does! Thanks again,
LuX.