Re: [dev] flo - a command line program for organizing events, to-dos, and deadlines

From: Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:59:51 +0200

> What's the difference to remind(1)?

I haven’t used remind before, but I just got it from the Arch Linux
package manager. Judging remind from its man-page, I’d say that flo is
much simpler; which is a good or bad thing depending on what you need.

flo only uses one file, and that’s ~/.flo. Tagging items makes it
possible to put items in different categories, and you can type “flo
.work” to see all your work items.

I have had the ISO 8601 date format in mind when designing it. Rather
than supporting a large variety of date and time formats, I stick to
what is both easy to implement and practical to use. Items in the list
don’t execute programs or anything.

The syntax is as short as it possibly can be – you type in the
information that you have available, and flo figures out if it’s an
event, a to-do, or a deadline. When you change an item, the to-do
might become i.e. an event.

In the future, I will probably add support for repeated events, more
than one tag per item, but probably not much more than that. I want to
keep it as small and fast as possible.

I don’t think flo is for everybody. It’s probably a bit too
minimalistic for most, but it does what I need.

Alexander