Re: [dev] [vp] A media website video player/fetcher

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:52:59 -0400

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:44:43PM +0200, thuban wrote:
>Le Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:18:55 -0400,
>Here is a project that might help you to make vp usable for other
>websites :
>http://code.google.com/p/cclive/
>I was using cclive to replace flashplugin with a shortkey, exactly as
>you described above, to read the videos with mplayer for example. but
>I'll try vp I think.

I hadn't come across that one before. Its quvi portion, at
least, is a lot better than most of the alternatives, although
it seems to need 1500 lines of C to do what I did in a few dozen
lines of shell script. I'm don't even understand what the C++
portion is for. But I don't think it will be of much help. The
Lua portions are generally pretty clean, but most of the
scrapers are easy to write if you've got a mind to write them.
And I notice that the YouTube scraper, at least, uses my old
method which I had to give up when it began to fail for some
videos (which is unfortunate, since it also removed the need for
a cookie jar and thus allowed direct streaming by vlc).

--
Kris Maglione
Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence.