Re: [dev] flo - a command line program for organizing events, to-dos, and deadlines

From: Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:11:09 +0200

flo does not store any ids in the items file. Items get their id once
they are listed in the order that they are sorted. Since they’re
sorted, it’s safe to remove ids between range 5–7 like this:

for i in {0..2}; do flo -r 5; done

Changing items in a range is not safe, since an item might be sorted
different when it get its date changed.

The reason why I’ve chosen to do it this way is because 1. I don’t
need much code that manages ids, 2. the output looks cleaner, 3. I
find it easier to work with because of the remove pattern that I
described in my previous mail.

The downside is that it’s hard to remove lots of items that are
grepped. If you want to do that, and you don’t need to identify the
items by their date, then you can do that manually in vim by deleting
the lines.

I recommend keeping the items file in version control. Since you don’t
have those “Are you really sure about this?” messages, then that could
save you from a disaster or two.