Re: [dev] Usable typesetting system?

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:14:13 +0100

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu> wrote:
>  I wrote my bachelor thesis using LaTeX and now I am going to write my
> master thesis. I would rather avoid TeX and everything TeX based this time.

Are you planning on writing any papers (effectively, do you plan to
become an academic)? If so, it's worth bearing in mind that some
subject areas tend to distribute the "conference/journal/arxiv style"
as LaTeX packages; with the move to electronic proceedings with
hyperlinks I imagine it's getting more and more trouble to make
non-LaTeX papers fit the submission guidelines. If both these apply,
you'd have to become comfortable with LaTeX anyway so it might make
sense to start now. Of course you may not, or you may be in an area
where the default is MS Word style files, but it's something to bear
in mind.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com