Re: [dev] Usable typesetting system?

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:33:09 -0700

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu> wrote:
> I am currently looking for some replacement with:
>
> * input as plain text (NOT xml)
> * simple syntax/commands/language
> * output as PDF (acceptable as thesis), may be indirectly
> * usable compilator (readable overall output, warnings and errors)
> * overall good design

Try AsciiDoc http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/

Its PDF output is horrible (looks like something created in M$ Word
*vomit*), but it can emit plain old LaTeX as well. Since you already
know LaTeX, I'm sure you could take AsciiDoc's LaTeX output and
somehow typeset in the beautiful, classic Knuth style that we love.

> I guess my demands are too high, but if you know about something interesting,
> please, let me know.

In my case, I wrote my masters thesis using LyX http://www.lyx.org/
It's a What You See Is What You Mean system, better than WYSIWYG.
And it was so good and easy that I never had to learn LaTeX! :-)