Re: [dev] sfc - a flashcards program to learn languages

From: Valentin <a_AT_0au.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:09:48 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 04:53:39PM -0400, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> þǫkk!
Gesundheit!

> Do you know where one could find a database of words either in that
> format, or in a format easy enough to reformat oneself?
No idea. I prefer to slowly add new words as I go through the lessons so
I can always learn stuff that's relevant or already known.

> It'd be cool if this supported automatic inflection based on defined
> grammatical rules; this is something I might implement myself in a
> fork if you don't care for it.
That'd be great, but writing the rules and keeping it generic sounds
annoying. Maybe some sort of tagging system [nn,st] for noun, strong
declension or similar would work. But you'd still have to specify what
to do based on the tags, and judging from the few languages I've learned
that could be quite a lot... Changing the end, or the middle, etc. The
end is obviously simple enough (just put the base in the word and let
tags handle the rest), but if the stem changes as well... Bleh. If you
do write a patch, just send it to me ;)

--Valentin