Re: [dev] libdraw development

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:57:43 +0100

On Monday, August 30, 2010, pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> wrote:
> I also liked to know if the libdraw author is open to contributions (can I commit
> it directly?).

Yes, except, libdraw is currently waiting to be released as version
0.1, and ofc development would destabilize it. I'm waiting for Anselm
to finalise the release of it and dmenu 4.2. I'm not sure what to do
about that. Also, we should agree on additions to draw.h, since a
library's API is the most important thing. But yeah, as long as code
remains in the same style I have no problem with that.

> The next step would probably think in making different backends to libdraw
> instead of dupping it in swk.

Though this is the next logical step, I'm a little hesitant. dmenu and
dwm both depend heavily on X code. So either libdraw would only work
with multiple backends for some projects, or we'd basically have to
abstract a lot of Xlib, which seems like duplicating effort. The
separation between libdraw and swk is a strange one.

Thanks,
cls