Re: [dev] libdraw development

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:21:50 +0200

2010/9/3 Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>:
>> Oh, wait, you are creating a new library that uses those libraries! So
>> I guess that makes it all OK. Not.
>
> You are aware P9P's libdraw depends on Xlib?

It doesn't. libdraw uses a custom protocol to speak with devdraw,
which is a separate program and the only one in p9p which really
depends on xlib. It is so to avoid having to write multithreaded
applications for every graphical program, as it would happen if 9p was
used, as it is in Plan 9. There is no reason you cannot rewrite
devdraw using any other backend, and the p9p applications which use it
would not need even a recompile.

This model works well enough in p9p, but would be stupid in a tool
like, for example, dmenu. I understand what's the idea behind yours
libdraw, and I agree it is a fair goal but, please, change the name.

By the way, why a file per function? I think that's crazy, and don't
fit very well with the rest of everything-in-a-big-file suckless
projects.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com