Re: [dev] [OT] What's wrong with C++?

From: matus, <chisel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:54:10 -0700

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:58:19PM +0100, David Tweed wrote:
> > When you can't make the program simpler and better, or you need to
> > do it faster than you do in C, just write C++ or whatever.
> >
> > This is just the place where people write about C, little overheads
> > and simpler programs.
>
> The point I was making was just that there are SOME problem domains
> where the features C provides fit what's needed and the C++ features
> aren't useful, in which case C will be simpler and better.
> [snip]

wmi started out in C++. The ideas there evolved into wmii and then dwm.
The current philosophy of simple, orthogonal tools came from a dark,
complicated past, where C++ was a player. As such, there is a sort of
automatic disdain for C++.

This of course is only my interpretation, but perhaps a historical
perspective on why this philosophy is somewhat antithetical to
principles embodied by C++. Perhaps Anselm can comment further.

(The fact that C++ has weaknesses is documented everywhere, and readily
apparent. The other fact that C++ also has great strengths, and
provides useful tools for certain problems, is also readily apparent.)