Re: [dev] [dwm] tagging interface

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:07:30 +0000 (GMT)

> You want the KeyRelease event. Note that, by default, X11
> will generate
> spurious repeat KeyPress events. Years ago I read the
> relevant SDL code
> (which maintains a vector of which keys are currently down) to
> see if it
> had a nice way of handling these events. It turns out it
> just had
> a heuristic for detecting them and ignoring them; iirc, the
> synthetic repeat
> events look like a KeyRelease followed by a KeyPress, where the only
> difference between the two events is the type (i.e. Release then
> Press),
> and the time, which is off by one. These are pushed onto
> the X event
> queue simultaneously, so a reliable test is, when encountering
> KeyRelease, also call XPeekEvent to see if the follow-up KeyPress
> exists. In this case, the KeyRelease/KeyPress pair can be
> interpretedas a repeat event, and ignored.

That would suck. Good to know it can be done tho. I have heard of a
way to turn off repeats, and I'll look into that before I do any nasty
race-condition hacks. I guess the SDL is a good source. (haha pun)
Is there anything in dwm that depends on repeats that would be broken
if I changed it somehow?

I'll get hacking and post a patch if I ever finish. Thanks for your help.