Re: [dev] [sta.li] Minimalist Live Distro

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:03:05 +0000

On 11/9/10, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Please inform me if there's a simpler way to access Windows shares.
>
> Sure. You don't need samba to access windows shares. You just need
> CIFS support built into your kernel.

Then WTF is Samba for? CIFS servers?
>>> "fully functional web browser sans x"
>> Thus I wondered if running e.g. Wayland or allocating a virtual
>> terminal for each interactive application would be a better idea.
>
> I know that Mark Shuttleworth thinks Wayland is a good idea, but his
> grasp on reality is tenuous. For the foreseeable future, if you want
> web browsing on linux you run X. You might look into kdrive if you
> want less X. It differs from Wayland primarily in that it exists in a
> useful state.

Kdrive seems nice. It probably won't support the USB mice that are
connected to the computers I'll use this on, but I should be able to
do away without them. Will have to make sure the browser I choose
supports following links using a keyboard (one-dimensional
tab-navigation doesn't count).
>> Not necessarily seperate from the web browser. The goals of a web
>> browser and a webapp VM are different, though. I'm really considering
>> using a sane web browser with a good UI for casual surfing and firing
>> up a Webkit monster to download my homework assignments.
>
> I don't know what the hell a 'webapp vm' is but there is no such thing
> as a sane web browser.
True, but in theory, one should be able to write one of support for
JavaScript, images and other multimedia is not required. Heck, Dillo
or NetSurf with UI enhancements would fill my needs. Granted, they
don't have that zen-minimalism we love - but they suck less than
mainstream browsers.
WebApp VM is a DHTML virtual machine, or a JavaScript VM that
implements DOM, CSS, HTML, XML and related W3C and WHATWG
technologies.

What init do you recommend for something like this? Or what's your
favorite init? I've grown a bad distaste for Gentoo's OpenRC (heck, it
runs *on top of /sbin/init*). I don't have any experience with any
other init system, though.

--
kv,
  - Bjartur