Re: [dev] dmenu patch to return all matching items (for a new dmenu-powered music player interface)

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:47:06 +0100

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:36:23 +0100
stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:

> * Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> [2010-11-11 12:19]:
> > On 11 November 2010 06:25, Dan Brown <danbrown_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As part of a project to create a simple and fast music player
> > > interface, I patched dmenu to allow it to return all matching
> > > items instead of just the one at the cursor. dmenu is the browsing
> >
> > This patch looks kinda useful to me and I'll think about probably
> > supporting this in mainstream dmenu.
>
> +1
>
> Can be very useful bound to some modkey + enter

you mean you want to choose between "return current result" vs "return
all current matches" at run-time? What's a use case for that?
I think this should be configured with a commandline argument, because
the script that calls dmenu needs to know in advance what kind of
output it will get anyway and it depends on what task the script will
do. Or am I missing something?

Dieter