Re: [dev] git dmenu mirror with feature branches instead of separate patches

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:33:11 +0100

* Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> [2010-11-21 17:12]:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:30:55 +0100
> v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 04:14:26PM +0100, stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de
> > wrote:
> > > Set of branches based on multiple patches, representing different
> > > dmenu flavours -- like surf-flavour (e.g. vertical and token match
> > > and xyz ), dwm-flavour, someones-music-player-flavour -- might make
> > > more sense... not sure.
> >
> > That's another option, but keeping track of applied patches on each
> > branch will become a pile of work imho, so this again would result in
> > making the patches compatible.

No way around that. The point is it would be done once.

> I would say we would make branches for single/multiple features based
> on what makes most sense for each particular case.

May be it's worth trying. I am still not sure since I don't have the
numbers of who bundles patches how.

Another kinda heretic idea might be to have fairly feature-rich branches
and feature-removing patches. Just thinking loud....

cheers,

--
 stanio_