Re: [dev] [hack] Having dmenu provide hints about current selected entry

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:27:20 +0100

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:33:51 +0100
Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chm.duquesne_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Dieter Plaetinck
> <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > the delay caused by dmenu waiting for stdin input to be complete
> > is noticeable.
>
> Actually, while performance also matters, the thread thing is not
> primarily a matter of fast processing. It is just that if you wait for
> the input to finish before allowing the user to interact, you miss the
> point of allowing feeding additional entries to this input from the
> suggestions (since these suggestions can only happen once user can
> interact).

Yes, I just wanted to explain my use case, which is different then
yours.
Anselm questioned earlier whether the writer (dmenu_path and whatnot)
or the reader (dmenu) is the slow one, as far as i've seen it's always
the writer. But that doesn't change my point at all. I just want to be
able to start typing asap, the input writer is usually fast enough to
catch up before I'm done typing anyway. But I don't like to needlessly
wait before dmenu appears. Again, this is the concern in my use case,
which is different then yours.

Dieter