Re: [dev] [dvtm] Graphics in madtty.c

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:03:11 -0500

 On 01/05/2011 06:44 PM, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 11:32:00AM -0500, Ross Mohn wrote:
>> Now I understand the mystery better. At home I do get the graphics
>> (using HEAD), but not at work. And the reason is that at home I use
>> en_US.utf8 while at work I'm stuck with AIX boxes that don't have that
>> locale installed, just en_US. So, the UTF8 code within dvtm prints the
>> actual UTF8 graphic characters while the non-UTF8 code within dvtm tries
>> to use the ncurses settings, but then doesn't print using ncurses.
> Patches welcome, please rebase them against HEAD. I have pushed some changes
> and I'm not yet sure whether they work as advertised, so some more testing
> would be welcome. Also please submit your pending patches. Recently someone
> asked about AIX support...
Yes, I'll rebase and send a series of patches throughout the day today.
Mostly to support AIX, but one or two other changes you might want to
move to the base.
>> On the other hand, now that I've been prompted to finally compile and
>> try a version of st, I love it! And, this has probably already been
>> discussed, but wouldn't it be more efficient to just write an optional
>> patch to st that provides dvtm-like windowing capabilities? Is this
>> already thought of for future?
> Well if you have X running then dwm can take care of your st windows.
It just seems there's a lot of duplicative effort out there between st
and madtty. What I had in mind was an ideal that I think now would be
difficult:

1. Remove the X-specific code from st to make it a pure, base, terminal
emulation package.
2. Make a separate X display implementation that uses the pure st
terminal emulator. This would look like the existing st program.
3. Make a "dynamic manager" implementation that uses the pure st
terminal emulator. This would look like the existing dvtm, but take
advantage of everyone working on a single terminal emulation package.

I've mucked around with these ideas a bit, but it doesn't look to be easy.
-Ross