Re: [dev] [bug] wmii segfaults on sudo wireshark

From: dtk <d.t.k_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:26:30 +0100

On 01/14/2011 04:52 PM, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 04:13:34PM +0100, dtk wrote:
>> Running wireshark as my default non-priviledged user works fine, as does
>> running wireshark as root under awesome/gnome.
>>
>> The wireshark splash displays nicely, showing the modules being loaded,
>> and I can glance the error dialog stating that some lua functionality
>> has been disabled, due to being run as root, before wmii crashes, gdm
>> reloads and prompts me with the user selection to log me in again.
>>
>> Can anybody confirm this behaviour?
>
> No. Can you perchance provide a backtrace?
Actually, I don't know how to (besides compiling from source), since the
binary from the ubuntu package doesn't contain debug symbols :/

When running wmii within a nested X session (Xephyr) (so it doesn't kill
my gdm -.-) I just see

{{{
0x08058d77 in ?? ()
(gdb)
(gdb)
(gdb) backtrace
#0 0x08058d77 in ?? ()
#1 0x0805921b in ?? ()
#2 0x080634f3 in ?? ()
#3 0x08054ca2 in ?? ()
#4 0x08062ad1 in ?? ()
#5 0x08062c44 in ?? ()
#6 0x08062d6f in ?? ()
#7 0x0805756c in ?? ()
#8 0x002c1bd6 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#9 0x0804b6e1 in ?? ()
(gdb)
}}}

The logs (/var/log/gdm/*; ~/.xsesson-errors; /var/log/Xorg.*) don't seem
to contain any information.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any further information.
tia
dtk