Re: [dev] [dwm] "reload" configuration?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:56:55 +0100

On 25 March 2011 13:47, Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com> wrote:
> [OT] Where did everyone pick up this shell scripting style with the extra
> newline? ("while x\ndo\n" instead of "while x ; do\n"?)

Old plain sh required the newline style (not sure if heirloom sh
supports the semicolon list terminator). Of course pdksh or bash
support both styles. So just a matter of style.

> I omitted too many details.  One reason I don't do that is that it's not
> just "dwm" that I'm doing this for.  I'm migrating (possibly/probably) from
> wmii, so I'd also like to be able to respawn into wmii (or ion3 or ...).  I
> modified spawn() to handle any of those cases by not forking.
>
> But beyond that, looping or manually launching dwm doesn't solve the problem
> that all the tag information is lost between restarts.  wmii gets around it
> by dumping the tag information into X props (still loses layout info, but
> keeping the tags is far better than dumping everything onto a single tag).
>  Has anyone patched dwm to do something similar?

In dwm this is usually done pre-actively through rules, not
post-actively through state dumps (another reason why I named dwm
dynamic rather than static).

Cheers,
Anselm