Re: [dev] [st] 0.1 Feedback - Was: A few small patches

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 02:34:34 +0100

On 3 Apr 2011, at 6:59 pm, ilf wrote:

> 2. alsamixer(1) behaves horribly.

I dunno about anyone else, but alsamixer is one of only 2 curses
programs I still use. :} Well, 3 really, I still have to use vi
occasionally.

> 3. I really like urxvt(1)s urlLauncher functionality. Copy+Pasting
> URLs is a PITA, especially on laptops without a middle mouse button
> for pasting. What do you all think about it?

Middle-button paste is (unfortunately) effectively brain-damaged for
at least half the hardware out there, or nearly all of it if you
consider scroll wheels unsuitable for clicking. Also some programs
still don't fill the selection buffer when you select with the
keyboard, making pasting into terminals a nuisance. Add in p9p progs
which invariably take selection over clipboard when they differ and
VNC for extra fun on top of that and the situation gets difficult. I
would appreciate clipboard copy and paste, which I guess is a
separate issue to the actual controls.

XFCE terminal binds ctrl-shift-C/V to clipboard copy/paste. They're
not great bindings but they're memorable. Someone mentioned shift-
insert, was that for clipboard or selection paste? Shift-insert
reminds me of DOS edit.exe which used that binding for paste and
ctrl- and alt-insert for copy and cut if I remember right. Again,
they weren't the world's most wonderful bindings but they worked and
probably can't conflict with anything in the terminal.