[dev] Panels and Touch support

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:30:31 +0200

Hello comrades,

attached is a patch for dwm, which will add real support for the
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE. There _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK and _NET_WM-
WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR are handled in a special way. The docks now
appear according to their aspect ratio on the screen and will sit
there, appearing on all tags.
The patch is in beta now. One spurious segmentation fault is still
there.

How it works:
When a window is started, having a width of 300 and a height of
200, an initial position in the upper half of the screen and the
Atom _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE is set to *_DOCK, then dwm will set it
to be isdock = 1, set its tag mask to 0xFFFFFF and force the win-
dow to be sitting at the top of the screen, with the height be-
ing the original value, but the width set to the current window
drawing area width. The window drawing area is decreased accord-
ingly.
If more than one panel is found, they are arranged according to
their order of occurence.

The given panel feature could be used by dmenu, to not overlap
the window drawing area, when being run.
I'm using it for having svkbd on a defined position on the screen,
when rotating my Laptop into tablet mode. The needed patches for
svkbd are sent to the maintainer.

A screenshot can be found here: [0]

The patch will push dwm beyond the 2k sloc mark, so it will need
to be a separately maintained patch.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0]