Re: [dev] st patch for draw() etc.

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:39:20 +0100

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:20:41AM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> In dwm/dmenu and probably st I see some potential to share a single
> implementation of draw.c. At first I wanted to create a lib for this,
> but when Connor tested this approach in dmenu we concluded, that
> additional library dependencies suck.
>
> The best compromise we came up with is having a shared draw.c among
> dwm and dmenu at least, which is on the agenda for dwm 6.0. Probably
> this could also be used for st.

What made you come to this conclusion? I've found a few
places where small shared libraries make my life much
easier. And wouldn't it be easier for somebody to just have
a shared library appropriate to their environment (x11 or
opengl, for example), to compile against, rather than find
their preferred environment's draw.c and copy it into the
appropriate directory?

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the low dependency load
of suckless stuff, but I don't see why a .c file is better
than an installed .a for shared functions.

Nick