Re: [dev] [st] 0.1 Feedback - Was: A few small patches

From: Greg KH <greg_AT_kroah.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:22:20 -0700

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:46:46PM -0700, Suraj Kurapati wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I usually use plain text mode and edit the email externally - I
> > use vimperator, which is a Firefox plugin, and it allows you to
> > edit text fields with a external editor.
>
> Unfortunately the Chromium browser lacks an external editor plugin
> for HTML textareas, so I copy the textarea to the clipboard, run this
> helper script[1] to edit in GVim, and paste back to the textarea.
>
> [1] https://github.com/sunaku/home/blob/master/bin/edit-gmail-message

Chrome does have a number of plugins that do let you use an external
editor, but it seems they all want to have some daemon running on your
machine in order to get that to work properly, so I've never actually
gotten around to setting it up. I'd be interested if anyone else
actually has?

Thanks for the link to your script, that is helpful as I end up having
to deal with lots of text areas in bugzillas all the time.

greg k-h