Re: [dev][st] Approach to adding -bg colour option to st

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:03:45 +0100

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Jan <keks_AT_unstable.nl> wrote:
>> It is also worth considering whether to handle this via X Resources (the
>> ~/.Xdefaults file) instead of command line options - since a terminal is
>> not normally something you are going to start by invoking directly, but
>> rather through a shortcut in your window manager.
>
> The only reason I see for having the bg-color changed at runtime is, that
> I have special cases in which I want a red or green or so bg terminal. If I
> just want to set the default bg, it should imho be done in config.h.

Yes, the X resources route doesn't work for me since I have a palette
of 8 "acceptable and different" background colours and then different
terminals acquire a different colour depending on what they're doing.
For my personal usage I'd prefer not to just overwrite
dc.col[DefaultBG] since in the long term I'd like to be able to change
the background colour of a running xterm, since if I'm reading hte
code correctly that's the only place, eg, black is stored. (As
background, I currenlty use a hacked aterm which changes the
background colour according to the cwd. This works for changing hte
colours, but the codebase and aterms behaviour on resize is poor, so
long term I'd like to move to a better terminal codebase where I can
hack in my colour functionality.)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com