Re: [dev] dwm taskbar icons via pcf font

From: Le Tian <tianeast_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:47:42 +0300

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've done this previously (I have modified Tamsyn's 15pt version
> and released it on the arch forums as 'Tamsyn2') and it works
> very well - particularly in locales where you rarely use anything
> outside of the ASCII charset. The basic idea is this - find a font
> you like and change the characters you don't use in said font to
> be small glyphs. (Gbdfed and Xmbdfed work well for this - just
> convert the font to bdf and open the font in either editor. When
> you're done, you can convert it back if you like). The glyphs you
> made are now represented as the character you replaced in the
> font and can be referenced as such. I've attached the current
> version of Tamsyn2 for reference or your use.

Thanks Bryan, your icons work, but only in my "terminal" not "xterm" when I
choose Tamsyn2 font and echo -e "\xC1", however when I edited your font with
my gbdfed, saved, reconverted, and put it into /usr/share/fonts/local/, ran
my terminal and echo -e "\xA1"(my added icon) didn't show up, but produced
empty string, however , when I replaced your icon under "C1" index and tried
the same it did show up with my icon. So newly added icons do not work, when
modifying your icons work, ahh, this is so jinxed. This is the only way I
got it all working, do you have any ideas why)?

I should apologize for littering the mailing list with my particular
questions, but this is the only way I can get some help on this subject.
Tian