Re: [dev] TermKit

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 14:18:25 +0100

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:

> fwiw, I agree. TermKit appears to be a very glossy turd, but there are
> certainly outstanding issues in our terminals, which is why in Plan 9
> they tried to fix them by pairing a plaintext-only Rio term with
> graphical windows which actually replace the spawning term. It's not
> perfect, but the plaintext / graphics dichotomy does make things
> simpler in some ways.

That's an interesting proposal. The "areas for improvement" I tend to
see revolve more around text and the information-loss going between
the interactive shell and the terminal (so that this information is
only accessible via typing shell commands). Eg, the shell knows which
bits are the input, output, prompt but by the time the terminal has
displayed it it's all one big block of text.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com