Re: [dev] TermKit

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:52:45 +0200

On Fri, 20 May 2011 14:40:39 +0100
Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:

> On 20 May 2011 14:27, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> wrote:
> >  I think a fd to write something to like "here's an image, please
> >  render it somewhere" is better than cls's suggestion of having apps
> >  directly write to the terminal.  I think the latter idea would get
> >  messy quickly. It's as if X windows would draw themself to the
> > screen rather then having a window manager take care of it.
>
> I disagree. Your approach is as if X windows would have no control
> over their interface besides "draw me now!" My approach would probably
> involve Xembed: the program creates a new window, the terminal embeds
> it into the right place, and then the program can draw to this (like
> how tabbed works, only downward-scrolling). Each process can ask for a
> little space in the canvas and they can draw only within that.

I think I misunderstood your previous mail.
If you mean that the terminal/shell is the one who can say "this region
is where you can draw your image", and the app can draw the image,
that's fine for me. Maybe that's even better (less complicated) than
the app passing an image to the shell/terminal and asking to draw it.
This is in fact mandatory for apps who want to draw nice
graphs/graphics/interfaces, the terminal isn't even able to do that
anyway.

I thought earlier you meant that the apps should decide also _where_
(as in: position on screen / inside terminal window) they write output
to.